2014-09-08

My Experience Making A Polymer Clay Purse


My first attempt making a polymer clay purse failed! Unfortunately it turned out too heavy to wear...

Couple{sorry, not good quality} pics of the process:



First I made grey colored inside of the bag - bottom and lid at the same time, then cured. Second - attached blue colored clay and embellishments to the bottom part of the purse, then cured.


The next step was to create the top part of the future purse. I put the lid on, then applied Kato Repel Gel to the grey line of the purse's bottom with hope that medium will protect blue clay from sticking to it. Then I repeated to embellish the lid and put the finished piece into the oven.

Actually, when I worked on the bottom part of the purse I had an idea that the purse would be hardly wearable because of the weight, but still had a little hope. My tiny edge of hope disappeared when the whole piece was finished, but I was not too disappointed and decided to use it as a keepsake box. Ah... I forgot to tell that I signed inside of the supposed purse, too, and it looked so very nice :)

You can't imagine my wonderment when I took my piece out of the oven and couldn't open it! I've tried in many ways, but nothing! Kato Repel Gel disappointed me... It got stuck together completely!!!


Not being able to use it as a keepsake box, I will use it as a home design element :) I decided to whiten it a little bit, using white acrylic paint.






Conclusions:
1. If you want to make a wearable polymer clay purse, you should not use weight enhancing texture pieces. instead of this use a variety of colorful canes to obtain a textured look
2. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that the Kato Repel Gel didn't work properly because I added embellishments pushing them down after attaching another layer of clay
3. Making a purse is an intriguing process when you know exactly what you are doing :)

It's my first, but not last attempt to make a PC purse, so stay tuned!

17 comments:

  1. Fantastic work,dear Diana!
    YES!!! Really stunning!:)*
    I LOVE this idea and looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece of art obviously has a mind of its own - it didn't want to be a purse or a box! It is stunningly beautiful anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work #11111111111111111111111111111111

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful, what a lovely object though such pretty colours!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to just sit and look at it...it has so many colors I would just get lost in it...Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still very beautiful and the colours are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing your story too. I look forward to seeing your purse when it is created!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! I admire your patience. Shame it didn't work out as a purse but it's still a lovely piece of art!

    Just out of interest what brand of clay were you using? I mainly use Kato and have used repel gel with it and it's always repelled. However I did have a repel gel sticking so firmly it was stronger than the rest of the piece experience using it with Fimo. Will try and do some proper testing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      I used Fimo and Premo for that piece. Actually I think it happened because I was attaching the embellishments strong and repel gel was blended with that force. And it took me more than one week to finish the piece so perhaps gel blends with time.

      Let me know your testing results please :)

      Delete
  7. I love this treatment--the colors and design. Congratulations on making the effort to create a polymer clay purse. I can tell it was a great learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanna,

      Thank you so much for the comment. That's true it was a really good experience!

      Delete
  8. My Special Girl has a 5th birthday coming up and I want to make her a box to store her Treasures (seashells). I was searching for an ocean theme and found this - it is so spectacularly beautiful that it need not be any other thing - just gorgeous. Truly. Thank you for creating such a magnificent piece which elevates my desire to create something beyond which I had dreamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Wish you good luck to create a box for your Princess :)

      Delete